When you work Monday-Friday, Mondays are a sack of shit, aren’t they? But, a Monday where a work friend brings in a homemade vegan chocolate cake? That’s a pretty good Monday.
Vicky isn’t even a vegan – in fact I’m the only person in the team who is, but she’s awesomely kind and so made a cake which I’d be able to eat too. Nice eh? Lucky me
I was too eager to get the cake in my facehole to take a photo when it looked all nice, so here’s a terrible photo from after it had been cut…
This cake is SERIOUSLY GOOD. Yum.
Here’s Vicky’s recipe…
- 420g plain flour
- 400g muscovado/ dark brown sugar
- 6Tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 500ml water
- 200ml sunflower oil
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Sift flour, sugar, cocoa powder and bicarbonate of soda into a bowl and stir together.
- Make a well in the centre and add the remaining ingredients.
- Mix until just combined.
- Pour the batter into cupcake cakes or a greased and lined tin.
- Bake – 20 mins for cupcakes or 1 hour for cake (or as I did the mixture in two tins, it was about 40 minutes).
COMMENT: Let it cool for a while in the tin when you take it out the oven. I left it for about ten minutes, which is all I usually do, but it was still very delicate when I took it out of the tins. One of them actual broke in half! Fortunately not noticeable when covered in icing😉
- 1 cup/225g Vegan margarine
- 1 cup/125g icing sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 145g quality bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped, melted and cooled
- ¼ cup almond or soy milk
- pinch of salt
- Combine the icing sugar and margarine and beat with electric mixer on low speed, about 1 minute.
- Add vanilla and beat on low until well combined.
- Add the melted and cooled chocolate and beat on medium speed until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Add almond milk and salt, and beat on medium speed for another minute.
COMMENT: It’s very sloppy so it isn’t great for spreading. Could add a bit less soy milk, I reckon.
Coffee walnut icing/filling
- 200g butter
- 400g icing sugar
- 2 tsps instant coffee granules
- 60g walnut pieces
- Beat the butter till soft and pale with an electric beater, then add the sugar and beat till smooth and creamy.
- Stir 1 tbsp boiling water into the coffee granules then mix it into the buttercream.
- Fold in the walnut pieces.